Monday, February 9, 2009

Unsung hero - Insult or Praise?

I first learnt of the term "Unsung hero" in American idol and William Hung got that title. When the company gives the title as a reward to a colleague of mine. I felt happy yet angry for her. Why? Happy that she got her recognition after hard work. Angry with why the award was named "Unsung hero".

Is it because it is given to staff of lower rank only? Is it because the work done is considered easy? I will never want to receive such award as I feel that it is an insult to my pride and hard work. Why go managers get to receive platinum, gold and silver award while admin staff have to receive "Unsung hero" award? If "Unsung hero" award is given to me, I will tear it into pieces as I do not want it to remind me of the discrimination.

HR, I think you badly need to revamp the title of the award as you are promoting discrimination and biases.

No comments: